[lbo-talk] Black music makes history

Grant Lee grantlee at iinet.net.au
Fri Oct 10 17:59:33 PDT 2003

From: "Doug Henwood"

> You think dreary angst isn't a proper reaction to the state of U.S.
> culture?

No, because I think angst about any popular culture is futile. Considering its context within the most fully developed capitalist relations of production in history, I'm frequently surprised by US culture. And I like a lot of its products and consume them, e.g. the movies of Tarantino, the music of Lou Reed, various kinds of fast food etc.

> You don't resent our cultural imperialism? Etc.?

As opposed to non-US cultural imperialism, past, present and future? No.