RES: [lbo-talk] Henwood: Collapse in Cancun

Alexandre Fenelon afenelon at zaz.com.br
Sat Oct 11 06:57:33 PDT 2003

Good article, Doug, but I think there are many other aspects that aren´t being taken into account, even by NGO´s and G-20. We know that there is a secular trend of devaluation of agricultural commodities in relation to industrialized goods (not to mention services and high tech goods). What the Third world countries are asking for is liberalization in agricultural trade in exchange for overall trade liberalization. In other words, we are begging for colony status,and the rich countries want even to deny this status to us. So I see no point in that demands. No country has ever reached development by exporting agricultural commodities, and withouth protecting local industries. Furthermore, a overall trade liberalization could led to further depression of agricultural commodities prices, since many countries will attempt to increase export oriented agricultural commodities in order to obtain hard currency, thise would even worsen terms of trade between rich and poor countries. And more, for strategic reasons, the rich countries will never lift agricultural subsidies. This would led their agriculture to complete collapse (even the US one) and to a situation of external dependency on foreign countries to feed their own peoples. In other words, all this dicussion is pointless. We have on interest in any kind of trade liberalization. Let the rich countries defend their own agriculture while we will protect our industry and services. This is a better arrangement.

Alexandre Fenelon