RES: [lbo-talk] Henwood: Collapse in Cancun

John Mage jmage at panix.com
Sat Oct 11 09:14:50 PDT 2003

Alexandre wrote:

> Good article, Doug, but I think there are many other aspects that

> aren´t being taken into account... Let the rich countries defend

> their own agriculture while we will protect our industry and

> services. This is a better arrangement.

I'm with Alexandre on this one.

Those "inefficient" peasants - and the recently pauperized urban ex-peasants - are way more than half the world's population. If there were the slightest fragment of global democracy, their interests would take precedence over _everything_ else.

Samir Amin's piece in the current MR <http://www.monthlyreview.org/1003amin.htm> sets out the ABCs. Below is an excerpt that spears the program of the agricultural "free trade" G-21 governments and their NGO allies, and suggests the alternative.

john mage

"Modernization through capitalist market liberalization, as suggested by WTO and its supporters, finally aligns side by side, without even necessarily combining, the two components: the production of food on a global scale by modern competitive farmers mostly based in the North but also possibly in the future in some pockets of the South; and, the marginalization, exclusion, and further impoverishment of the majority of the three billion peasants of the present third world and finally their seclusion in some kinds of reserves. It therefore combines a pro-modernization and efficiency-dominant discourse with an ecological-cultural-reserve set of policies allowing the victims to survive in a state of material (including ecological) impoverishment. These two components might therefore complement, rather than conflict with, one another.

Can we imagine other alternatives and have them widely debated? Ones in which peasant agriculture would be maintained throughout the visible future of the twenty-first century, but, which simultaneously engage in a process of continuous technological and social progress? In this way, changes could happen at a rate that would allow a progressive transfer of the peasants into non-rural and non-agricultural employment.

Such a strategic set of targets involves complex policy mixes at national, regional, and global levels.

At the national level it implies macro policies protecting peasant food production from the unequal competition of modernized farmers and agribusiness corporations—local and international. This will help guarantee acceptable internal food prices—disconnected from international market prices, which are additionally biased by the agricultural subsidies of the wealthy North.

Such policy targets also question the patterns of industrial and urban development, which should be based less on export-oriented priorities (e.g., keeping wages low which implies low prices for food) and more attentive to a socially-balanced expansion of the internal market.

Simultaneously, this involves an overall pattern of policies to ensure national food security—an indispensable condition for a country to be an active member of the global community, enjoying the indispensable margin of autonomy and negotiating capacity.

At regional and global levels it implies international agreements and policies that move away from the doctrinaire liberal principles ruling the WTO—replacing them with imaginative and specific solutions for different areas, taking into consideration the specific issues and concrete historical and social conditions."