[lbo-talk] pervs not welcome in Kenner, Louisiana

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Oct 11 12:21:15 PDT 2003

WDSU TV CHANNEL 6 (NBC) - NEW ORLEANS, LA

Fetish Convention Won't Happen In Kenner

Congemi Urges Hotels To Turn Away Group

POSTED: 10:32 a.m. CDT October 10, 2003 UPDATED: 2:07 p.m. CDT October 10, 2003

NEW ORLEANS -- A group has canceled its convention after the Kenner police chief urged local hotels to turn away those associated with "Fetish in the Fall."

In a letter sent to hotel managers, Chief Nick Congemi said the conference would consist of seminars and demonstrations in bondage, whips, leather, and other forms of sadism, masochism, and "alternative" sexual behavior. He said the convention would jeopardize the city's family atmosphere.

According to the Web site, the event is promoted by "'Naughty' in New Orleans." Organizers were hoping to hold the event Nov. 20-23.

In a statement, the group decried Congemi's action.

"We never expected that the Kenner Police Department would interfere with our business practices or discriminate based solely on our attendees' sexual preference," the statement said. "This event was to be a private conference on private property. ...It is too bad that personal beliefs and politics will result in the loss of an event that would have contributed a significant economic impact to the city of Kenner."