[lbo-talk] US State Department protests televangelist's nuclear threat

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Sat Oct 11 12:51:11 PDT 2003

> ...Robertson, who has been a frequent critic of the State Department,
> made the offending comments during an interview with a like-minded critic
> of US diplomacy, columnist Joel Mowbray, who has written a book entitled
> "Dangerous Diplomacy: How the State Department Threatens American
> Security."

"I read your book," Robertson said, according to a transcript of the interview posted on his Christian Broadcasting Network's website (www.cbn.com).

"When you get through, you say, 'If I could just get a nuclear device inside Foggy Bottom, I think that's the answer'," he said.

"I mean, you get through this, and you say, 'We've got to blow that thing up.' I mean, is it as bad as you say?" Robertson asked.

Mowbray responded: "It is."

Mowbray's book accuses the State Department of endangering the security of the United States by allegedly cavorting with sponsors of terrorism, negligence or incompetence in the visa issuance process and ignoring the travails of US citizens abroad. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Political Science by Randy Newman

No one likes us-I don't know why We may not be perfect, but heaven knows we try But all around, even our old friends put us down Let's drop the big one and see what happens

We give them money-but are they grateful? No, they're spiteful and they're hateful They don't respect us-so let's surprise them We'll drop the big one and pulverize them

Asia's crowded and Europe's too old Africa is far too hot And Canada's too cold And South America stole our name Let's drop the big one There'll be no one left to blame us

We'll save Australia Don't wanna hurt no kangaroo We'll build an All American amusement park there They got surfin', too

Boom goes London and boom Paree More room for you and more room for me And every city the whole world round Will just be another American town Oh, how peaceful it will be We'll set everybody free You'll wear a Japanese kimono And there'll be Italian shoes for me

They all hate us anyhow So let's drop the big one now Let's drop the big one now

-- Michael Pugliese