[lbo-talk] Black music makes history

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Sat Oct 11 17:56:09 PDT 2003

Miles writes:

"--And on this "Hendrix as hiphop" conceit: by that logic, Muddy Waters and John Lee Hooker are "hiphop". Isn't that casting the net a bit wide?"

When I listen to Hendrix I hear this music whose roots reach down into rock, jazz, and blues...but it's not any of those, it's something new, whose historic development, from what people say, is carried on by hip-hop. More impressive, and the reason I mentioned Bach, Hendrix's music has a sinew and an inner logic that reminds me of Bach's work.

For those of you in the know, could you please recommend 10-20 songs that you think continue that tradition? My son probably has them, so I could listento them.

Thanks,

Joanna