[lbo-talk] Re: Black music makes history

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Sat Oct 11 22:52:00 PDT 2003

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 12:03:11 +0800, Grant Lee <grantlee at iinet.net.au> wrote:

> From: "andie nachgeborenen"
>
>> I feel moderately confident in
>> saying that rock has been at best treading water since
>> then. Luke's U2 and REM are OK, Nirvana wasn't bad,
>> but I haven't heard anything in the genre that has
>> gripped me with the force of early Elvis Costello,
>> unless it was Dylan's return to rock with his recent
>> band.

http://www.scaruffi.com/music/archives.html Rock Archives on the Web. All Music Guide has good, snappy review and recommendations. 30 second clips can be found at http://www.rollingstone.com/

Hhere is what has been in my CD player lately. Neutral Milk Hotel- surrealism w/ trombones, Guided by Voices and Pavement-nerdy art-rock, Sixteen Horsepower-gothic country , Giant Sand-Neil Young on acid w/ a psych, country feel, Mojave 3, beautiful harmonies folk-rock, baby done left me lyrics, Spiritualized, Live at Royal Albert Hall-orchestral psych, Wire-classic art-punk, Uncle Tupelo-Anodyne and their first album esp., gave birth to so-called alt country http://www.nodepression.net/ ,Tim Buckley, suicided son of Tim, both R.I.P., Peter Green Splinter Group-the return of the great original Fleetwood Mac blues guitarist, Sonic Youth- Daydream Nation and Washing Machine esp.-punk psych, Bevis Frond, psych, The Fall, esp, "The Wild and Wonderful World of The Fall, "-chaotic rants, Whiskeytown-country rock, Univers Zero-symphonic prog, King Crimson, Chris Whitley esp. Din Of Ecstacy-tales of junkie excess, calling Johnny Thunders..., Mark Lanegan, "Whiskey For The Holy Ghost, "-drugs, bad sex, no sex, heavy drinking, Television-"Little Johnny Jewel, " on the live ROIR and their first album, Marquee Moon, Tom Verlaine inspiration to a zillion guitarists, Can-Kraut Rock, "Future Days, ambient psych, patti smith...a friend in high school, his Mom called her a, "babbling bitch, " heh., Grin- Nils Lofgren 70's band, country rock, Cat Power-plaintive, female singer- songwriter, Galaxy 500-jazz psych, Calexico-tex-mex surf mariachi, Built To Spill-punk psych, Nick Drake-singer songwriter folk rock, Dream Syndicate- punk psych, so called paisley underground cf, Rain Parade, Mekons, originally punk, a million styles since, the country period was great, see the solo albums by Jon Langford too esp. the autobiographically inflected Skull Orchard, Kristin Hersh-singer for Throwing Muses solo, Lisa Germino- singer songwriter w/ an edgy, dreamy style, Palace Brothers-west virginia style rock, twisted tales of regret and redemption w/ a voice fans of Neil Young and Bob Dylan will enjoy, Einsturzende Neubaten-German industrial, Halber Mensch is great, Chuck Prophet and Elliott Smith-bastard children of Alex Chilton of Big Star, Big Star-Beatleseque power pop that turned mournful by the end of their brief career, inspiration to alot of bands since, the saying is that they were not seen by many in the 70's but, everyone who did formed a band, Husker Du-brilliant lyrics, great guitars, find the album by Grant Hart post Husker Du, "The Last Days Of Pompeii, " a rock opera. http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=MISS70306172355&sql=A5aug6j5h71q0

-- Michael Pugliese