[lbo-talk] Pollan: The (Agri)Cultural Contradictions of Obesity

Michael Dawson mdawson at pdx.edu
Sun Oct 12 12:03:48 PDT 2003

I agree with boddhisatva. Pollan's argument is ass-backwards, as he semi-admits in his final paragraph. The federel government, staffed by revolving-door insiders, sees its role as grooming of the conditions required for operating corporate capitalist enterprises. The Dept of Ag is as pure an example of this fact as any other agency. Meanwhile, Americans eat more for four reasons: 1. big business marketing encourages and facilitates it; 2. cars, suburbanization, TV-addiction, and crappy jobs create the time crunch that makes convenience a dominant motive; 3. as the above two force work across generations, there is personal deskilling, and younger people forget how to garden and cook; and 4. life in Americ is stressful and depressing, making fat, salt, sugar and other confort substances more appealing.

Pollan is a good writer, but his piece here is hardly even useful as a review of federal food policy.

Michael Dawson Portland, OR ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jacob Conrad" <jakub at att.net> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Sunday, October 12, 2003 10:51 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Pollan: The (Agri)Cultural Contradictions of Obesity