[lbo-talk] Srauss, Bloom, and Rashomon

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 12 12:51:59 PDT 2003

I am not sure what the question is that I might attempt to answer helpfully. I agree that the views of the Straussians are a bit mad, and I agree that there is a certain degree of incommensurability involved in their outlook and ours. They think we are mad too. The Noble Lie stuff is consistent with that. It's not that they are really inverted historical materialists who see things as we do but reverse the value signs, and then feel obliged to lie about it.

Rather, what the Straussians think is true and in need of a coverup is that the world is meaningless, God is dead, there are no objective values, everything is permited. But this, they fear, is too strong medicine for the hoi poloi, who must be told that religious faith and objective values are very important, otherwise we will all loot and rob and kill and rape and upset the social order. In this context it is useful to remember that Strauss was a Jewish refugee from the Nazis. One can understand hwo he might have come to think such things. Now, the appeal of this arcana to Americans is a different matter.

Btw, the Straussians are only a small corner of the elite right, most of whom have no particular philosophy beyond what you can read in the Wall street Journal editorial pages. Most right wingers, even very smart ones, have no interest whatsoever in deconstructing Plato's Laws or Xenophon's On Tyranny or Rousseau's Emile, for versions of the Straussian's pseudo-Nietzschean message. (Pseudo, because N believed that there were true values, they just hadn't been invented anew yet, and he hated and dispised politics of all sorts, right wing almost as much as left wing.) Theya re musch more interested in setting up their 20-something actress mistresses in a pied-a-terre in Manhattan, and makinga nother zillion dollars.

jks