[lbo-talk] Sounds like Faulkner

Michael Simkin simkin_michael at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 12 15:56:30 PDT 2003

> It's been a long time, but I loved Faulkner back in my literary days.
> And, even though it got ridiculous on occasion, I loved his prose
> style. What's your point here?

My point is that Faulkner's prose is hard to distinguish from machine-translated German text.

The fact that some people like it is not a valid argument. Similarly to a neurotic, who can be cured by a properly proscribed glass of water, an aesthete can be amused by a questionable quality text which is properly authored.

Can you explain what was Faulkner's contribution to the literature?

Mikhail Simkin --- "Machine translation or Faulkner?" quiz: http://www.ee.ucla.edu/~simkin/sounds_like_faulkner.html