[lbo-talk] McNamara on Multilateralism

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Oct 12 19:53:34 PDT 2003

Errol Morris's new film about Robert McNamara (_Fog of War_) is kind of interesting, not so much for insight into the man (who IMHO still seems pretty unselfknowing) but for the history that intersects with his life, e.g., the firebombing of Japan and the Cuban missile crisis, both of which he casts a pretty scary light on.

But McNamara did have one very simple argument for multilateralism based on the limits of reason. He said the problem with reason is that we tend to see what we want to believe, and the only check on this is another perspective. And for that reason alone, he states unequivocally that the US should never go to war unilaterally. Because if we can't make our case to other countries who share our values, it means it's not a good enough case. He says if we'd followed this simple rule, there never would have been a Vietnam, because all of our allies were against it: Germany, Italy, Britain, France.

Mind you, it won't prevent all mistakes. It wouldn't have prevented the Kosovo war when other options were possible. But it wouldn't be a bad first cut.

Michael