[lbo-talk] Chris Caldwell's Conservative Feminist Optimism

Kelley the-squeeze at pulpculture.org
Mon Oct 13 07:19:22 PDT 2003

more that contradicts caldwell, at least in the US:

<quote> 1) Thanks to Stephanie Coontz and the Council on Contemporary Families:

>From Barbara Bergmann A recent posting quoted a poll by CBS saying that women's pay was now 85% of men's. Unfortunately, the real news is not that good.

The best information on pay by sex derives from large-scale surveys by the Bureau of Labor Statistics and the Census Bureau. The Current Population Survey of the US Census gives 75% as the female-to-male ratio of weekly pay of full time workers for March 2002. A sample that included part-time workers would give a lower ratio. A statistical analysis of the causes of the 2002 gap finds that none of it is due to differences by sex in workers' education, age, or presence of children in the family, suggesting that substantially all of it is due to sex discrimination. (For a copy of this short paper, write me at <bbergman at umd.edu>.)

The CBS stat appears to be based on a small-sample telephone survey in which people were asked their hourly pay. Many people are not paid by the hour, so their answers may have been inaccurate. </quote> At 09:37 AM 9/30/03 -0400, Kelley wrote: