[lbo-talk] Black music makes history

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 13 13:20:35 PDT 2003

and in the 'cruel irony' department:-

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/story.jsp?story=452375

More on the American use of collective punishment in Iraq, from Patrick Cockburn writing in the Independent: "US soldiers driving bulldozers, with jazz blaring from loudspeakers, have uprooted ancient groves of date palms as well as orange and lemon trees in central Iraq as part of a new policy of collective punishment of farmers who do not give information about guerrillas attacking US troops."

and "The children of one woman who owned some fruit trees lay down in front of a bulldozer but were dragged away, according to eyewitnesses who did not want to give their names. They said that one American soldier broke down and cried during the operation. When a reporter from the newspaper Iraq Today attempted to take a photograph of the bulldozers at work a soldier grabbed his camera and tried to smash it. The same paper quotes Lt Col Springman, a US commander in the region, as saying: 'We asked the farmers several times to stop the attacks, or to tell us who was responsible, but the farmers didn't tell us.'

Informing US troops about the identity of their attackers would be extremely dangerous in Iraqi villages, where most people are related and everyone knows each other. The farmers who lost their fruit trees all belong to the Khazraji tribe and are unlikely to give information about fellow tribesmen if they are, in fact, attacking US troops."

The jazz reminds me of an 'Apocalypse Now'-style soundtrack to American violence in Vietnam ("They made a sort of joke against us by playing jazz music while they were cutting down the trees," said one man, which of course describes American behavior which is very, very close to psychopathic), the woman in front of a bulldozer and the grabbed camera are of course references to the great country of Israel, but the American soldier crying is pure Americana. After only six months, the United States has become so corrupted by this occupation that it has descended to the moral level of the Vietnam War or the daily crimes committed by Israel. posted 2:08 AM