[lbo-talk] "Classical" -- music terminology

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Mon Oct 13 14:31:15 PDT 2003

P.S. Problem with terminology above, since "classical" has a least three separate senses, not easily disentangled. The "Jazz Classics" would not be "classical" in either sence a or sense b above, but in the popular sense of "classical," the best, the original. Someone else can try to untangle this if they care.

Well, thinking of the musical progressions, I am familiar with, I would hazard the definition that "classical" can also mean a level of maturity in the evolution of a musical form when constitutive elements of that form have been articulated/distilled and which can therefore be musically investigated for further formal possibilities.

It's a bit overwrought, but ...

Joanna