[lbo-talk] Myth Making on Schwarzenegger's victory

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 13 16:45:49 PDT 2003

Neither Camejo nor Huffington ever had very much popularity outside of small progressive enclaves like West Los Angeles, Berkeley, Arcata, Humboldt County and certain areas in San Francisco. Of the two, Camejo had a much more considerable, albeit not significant, potential voter base because he had at least the Green Party vote. But he had no more or - and for the most part - less even than that. Had Ariana remained a Republican, who knows, she may have succeded as Arnold has done, if she had the blessing of the Republican nomenklatura. But running as a politically mercurial independent, who few people really trusted, she had no constituent base of any kind except vaguely defined 'sympathizers' who thought that she was charming and articulate.

California voters are much more conservative than is acknowledged, amny Democrats are 'Reaga-Democrats' and many of the young first-time-voters who voted for Arnold were the direct or indirect progency of this Reagan-Democrat tendency.

I think the best thing for progressives and liberals could have done would have been to convince Clint Eastwood or Warren Beatty to run (I''m only half-kidding ;-) What I do mean is for the Democrats to have run a popular Democrat like Leon Pannetta, John Vasconcelos, or even John Burton himself, but I think even that strategy may not have worked - but I'm sure it would have made a better showing than that of Cruz Bustamante a career Democratic party hack who could not even mobilize the Latino vote (who voted for Arnold at a rate of 3 ot of 5).

The fix was in, I think the reason why prominent Democrats like Feinstein, or the aforementioned did not jump in was that they realized they could not beat Arnold. The only hope was to try to stave-off the recall itself. But, alas, twas too late,

Joe W.