[lbo-talk] Re: Pollan/Obesity in Canada

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Mon Oct 13 17:10:04 PDT 2003

Doug writes:

"I haven't updated my spreadsheet in a while, but according to the BLS's Consumer Expenditure Survey (which is the raw material for what most marketers rely on), households spent 15.9% of after-tax income on food in 1984, and 13.9% in 2000. I don't have pre-84 data here, but I do know it was about 33% in the 1950s. I think it's been more of a steady decline than a sudden drop-off in the Butz era."

two things I want to know before I accept any data:

1. Does food just refer to groceries? Or does it include eating out? (no jokes please)

2. Is the same basket of items being counted? or are we talking about "functional substitutes." That is, does the 2000 basket include hamburger for the 1970 new york steak?

Joanna