[lbo-talk] re dali lama and spin

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Mon Oct 13 20:48:38 PDT 2003

Suppose he had scolded Bush over Iraq when he met him? Does anyone think that that would have had an iota of significance to Bush?

--well, i think you miss the point, that is the reason he *was* invited by Bush in the first place, he was a safe person to invite given his generally pro american foreign policy perspective. -----------------------

I think the problem these DL critics have is that they are envious that he sells so many books, seems so smart, and attracts such large crowds, and yet doesn't agree with them.

--goodness no, it's that he speaks out in support of past wars of the US and remains quiet on current ones, i.e. he is a peddler of a pretty superficial brand of pacifism. In fact, he's not really a pacifist at all, nor progressive in any serious sense of the word. But you're right, he sure does sell a lot of books and enjoys the unearned worship of people like Amy Goodman or the Nation's katrina vandenheuvel. I credit Howard Zinn for speaking up and breaking the pwog taboo, I wonder if Goodman or Vandenheuvel have seen it...