[lbo-talk] re dali lama and spin

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Tue Oct 14 05:56:02 PDT 2003

christian wrote: 2. What bugs me is the moral condescension of the progressive left toward the Dalai Lama's followers--ie he's a "peddler" of pacifism, part Ghandi part PT Barnum, as the article put it, or he "makes people feel good," as if that were some kind of crime.

--nope, you're making a presumption that has no basis i'm afraid.. -----------------------------

(By the way, a similar attitude was evinced on this list toward Bernard-Henri Levy as a guest on Doug's show. The guy is funny, can turn a phrase, and he's not without something to say. ("God is dead but my hair is fabulous"--can you imagine O'Reilly saying something that funny? Or Rush? Come on!) But evidently being funnier than Chomsky and to the right of Michael Moore makes him--and Doug! (jeez!)-- automatically supsect.)

--nope, actually it's hard to imagine doug giving DL afree pass lik goodman or vandenheuvel...that;s the issue.

Indeed, it's precisely because the Dalai Lama can reach such big audiences and make them feel good that some might say it's important for the left tot try and claim him as their own.

--mother teresa made people feel good about themselves too...so did bob hope...big deal... ------------------------------

I sometimes wonder what progressives think a mass progressive movement would look like--as if it would include no one with illusions, no one who didn't care about their idol's take on the Korean war, no one who just wanted to feel good, no one for whom doing prostrations and saying prayers was pleasurable.

--i have a funny feeling you wouldn't enjoy doug interviewing DL...