[lbo-talk] Re: Black Music Makes History

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Oct 14 06:17:25 PDT 2003

Brian Dauth:
> What is pathetic is the denigration of a cultural expression when it
does not conform to a
> person's preconceptions of what is the "proper" way to make music or
to woo someone. I
> love it when my man rhymes for me. Maybe you want to be wooed with an
acoustic guitar.
> I'll take hip hop. Neither is pathetic.

I do not really care what other people are wooed by. You can be wooed by the sound of farting ass, is you so choose. My point is that I (and I presume many other folks) do not want be wooed by anything against my will, cultural expression of something or not. The asshole with the ghetto blaster does that, I dare to say, precisely because it violates other people's boundaries and privacy. It is an act of act of passive aggression that boosts his male ego. If you doubt that, I suggest you see Spike Lee's flick _Do the right thing_ and report back to class what you saw.

Wojtek