[lbo-talk] Re: Black Music Makes History

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Oct 14 13:44:42 PDT 2003

Doug opined:
> I went to Yale, did three years of graduate English at Virginia, am
> publishing my third book, am 50 years old, and still love and liste
> to punk and hip hop. Is there any hope for me Dr Sokolowski?

You missed my point entirely. My kid, just like you, did the right thing, went to college and now is hoping to sell his intellectual commodity. Whether he (or you) likes or hates pop is irrelevant.

On the other hand, there were kids who quit school to become hip hop stars or drug dealers - some of them disappeared from the radar screen since my kid left of college (I wonder if they are still alive), other that I knew personally are unemployed and sleep on other people's couches if they are lucky. We can view that as a result of some stupid life choices their made, the failure of the educational system, or falling prey to some fucks in the entertainment industry who sell their shit to kids who do not know any better - or perhaps all of the above.

Another point I made was that my beef is not with any particular genre of music, which as we all well know is the matter of personal taste and thus non debatable. I objected to the behavior of certain males which use noise as a form of aggression. The fact that this noise happens to be punk or rap music is irrelevant, and I clarified that in my later postings.

Wojtek