[lbo-talk] Re: Black Music Makes History

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Oct 14 14:11:18 PDT 2003

Brain Dauth states:

> I do not believe that I posted that I "see pop culture [as] the most
important act of social
> protest." Again, you seem to be knocking people not for their
conclusions, but conclusions
> you reach for them.

And then opines:

> Again, let's be clear: white men are in gated communities not because
they are pissed off,
> but because they are racist.

I know a lot of people who are not racist but moved to the burbs because they were sick and tired of noise, trash and other nuisance they had to put up with. But you declared that it was because of racism. Does that mean that no one can impute any conclusions to you, but you can impute conclusions about people you dislike?

> Why do you think this is about you? I think that one of the big
hurdles for white people to
> overcome is the notion that hip hop culture is about them.

Because it is being blasted in my face, whether I like it or not. But let me reverse this and ask why do you think that it is the black people whose behavior I object to? Many, if not most, instances of annoying noise I encounter involve white not black males and take place in the vast wasteland of PA suburbs.

As to your other points - I admit I know little about hip hop and other music genres. But I was not arguing about music but about obnoxious male behavior. In fact, I make a point of registering the gender of the driver each time I see a particularly noisy vehicle approaching. Invariably it is a male. On those rare occasion that women play their radios loudly, the level of noise does not even begin to compare to that emitted by male-driven assholemobiles.

As to your point that cities are noisy - that may be particularly true of the US cities where the level of noise is much higher than in Europe. But there is a difference between Living noises" and blasting someone's crap into people's faces, whether they like it or not. If you do not see that difference, you should not have problems with school prayers, and the display of religious symbols in courts and other public places.

Wojtek