[lbo-talk] Re: Frankie

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 15 19:50:56 PDT 2003

I used to think that about the Riddle Orchestra. I don't any more. It's not bland. It's subtle. Sinatra sang with whom he liked. -- Well, actually he initially preferred Stordahl, but he came to like Riddle too.

You can listen to recordings he did with the Ellington Orchestra, the Basie Band, and Red Norvo. I don't think they are qualitatively better. It's not jazz in the sense that Billie sang with the Basie band and small groups in the 30s. It's pop. You have to take it for what it is. Sinatra's not a jazz singer in the sense that, say, Billy Eckstine is. The Riddle and Stohrdahl machines, also the beefier Billy May Orch that he sometimes played with, are just right.

Btw, they worked well the jazz singers too. Riddle accompanied Ella on a lot of the Songbooks and other records, and she was another singfer who could ask for the orchestra she wanted. The Riddle recordings -- with him playing jazz -- are just as as good as her Ellington Songbook, recorded with the Duke -- a big concession for me since I live, breathe, eat, and drink Ellington.

jks