[lbo-talk] Gen. Boykin's polytheism

Shane Taylor s-t-t at juno.com
Thu Oct 16 14:11:59 PDT 2003

MSNBC.com:
> Top terrorist hunter’s divisive views
> http://msnbc.com/news/980764.asp?0cv=CB10

Divisive. Not authoritarian. Not theocratic. But "divisive." Bleh. But anyway, here's the salient point:

> During a January church speech in Daytona, Fla.,
> Boykin recalled a Muslim fighter in Somalia who
> bragged on television the Americans would never
> get him because his God, Allah, would protect him:
> “Well, you know what I knew, that my God was
> bigger than his. I knew that my God was a real
> God, and his was an idol.”
>
> The Somali was captured, and Boykin said he told
> the man: “Mr. Atto, you underestimated our God.”

Zizek once said "fundamentalists", such as this Christian, are not really monotheists. They believe in multiple gods, are allied with one, and must defeat his rivals by warring against their believers. Seems to fit with the above.

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!