[lbo-talk] Re: Russia, antisemitism

Michael Simkin simkin_michael at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 17 06:45:28 PDT 2003

> Lazar also rejected suggestions there was any anti-Semitic overtones to a
> row pitting the Kremlin against the head of Russia's oil major YUKOS,
> Mikhail Khodorkovsky. He said Khodorkovsky, Russia's richest man, had
> assured him his Jewish background had played no role in the affair.
>
> Nor did Lazar see any such undertones in the misfortunes of two other
Jewish
> "oligarchs", Vladimir Gusinsky and Boris Berezovsky, who became wealthy in
> dubious post-Soviet selloffs of industry but later fell foul of the
Kremlin
> and fled Russia.

Once during Kruschov's rein they started to execute the leaders of the black market economy. As the executed were mostly Jewish, during Khuschov's visit to America he was asked if this is a genocide. The reply was:

"Relax. We execute not only Jews, but also Russians, Ukrainians, and Belorussians."