[lbo-talk] All the President's votes?

Fri Oct 17 15:34:57 PDT 2003

Wojtek,

Doug and I had a brief offline discussion about this article, stemming from Doug's post on another listserv. But given the fact that this article seems to be of interest to LBO'ers, I'll post my reply to Doug's original email here:

Doug,

Votewatch is planning to closely monitor the Georgia elections in 2004. Votewatch is a nonprofit non-partisan election monitor. We utilize statistical sampling of voters exiting the polls, poll monitors inside the polls, and an online system for collecting data on election data. We then analyze all of the data to look for trends and inconsistencies.

For example, during our pilot test in the California recall election, we saw indicators very early in the day that voters were having trouble answering question #1, the recall question. Our data and the analysis of official results later showed that these indicators were accurate, as the undervote rate on question #1 was significantly high.

Our statistical teams are now reasonably confident that we can design statistical methodologies that will uncover anomalies during an election, irregardless of the voting system. We plan to continue to test and refine our systems during the presidential primaries in preparation for the general election in 2004.

Please feel free to distribute this reply, as Votewatch has started commencing it promotional plans for the presidential election. Our success is dependent on a small but dedicated group of volunteers on election day, and we will soon begin soliciting these volunteers in Georgia. If people in Georgia, Illinois, Florida and S. Carolina are interest in signing up to volunteer for a couple hours on election day, please visit www.votewatch2004.com.

Thank you for posting a reference to this article.

________________________________ Steven Hertzberg Votewatch, a nonprofit Corporation San Francisco, California

http://www.votewatch.us Your Eye on Elections

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-admin at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-admin at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Wojtek Sokolowski Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 1:07 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: [lbo-talk] All the President's votes?

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/story.jsp?story=452972

Wojtek