[lbo-talk] literacy

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Sun Oct 19 13:09:18 PDT 2003

Yes and no. There was a greater number of highly literate, active workers then -- at least proportionately. In England, workers would bad together to jointly buy copies of Capital. The cigar makers had people read to them while they worked.

At the same time, public education was limited. Large numbers of immigrants were in the labor force.