[lbo-talk] 'Democrazy'

Michael Dawson mdawson at pdx.edu
Sun Oct 19 15:12:37 PDT 2003

Talk about suicidally stupid! After a mere 250 years of trying, this clown wants to give up on democracy? On behalf of all those who've died for it, I'm outraged.

A few points: 1. Chomsky has not, does not, and will not condone shit like this. Recognizing that democracy isn't perfect doesn't constitute an argument against it.

2. Democracy homogenizes people? That's an incredibly dubious contention, which also appears to entirely ignore the homogenizing impact of corporate capitalism.

3. If democracy is spent, then it must have been tried to its fullest possible extent. But when has anybody ever governed a modern economy with democracy? Outside the Mondragon region of Spain, that's never been tried.

4. None of this guy's claims for what abolishing democracy would (apparently automatically) do hold water. How would canning democracy progressively undermine the nation-state? That kind of talk makes me wonder what substances this writer ingests/injects before he sits down to work. As for getting rid of Haider, I'd trust Haider more than any savior telling me he's about to abolish democracy. Holy crap!