[lbo-talk] Popular Culture: NYRB Review

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Sun Oct 19 16:01:56 PDT 2003

Quoting Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu>:

> Those who engaged in the recent long threads on popular culture might be
> interested in a review in the current New York Review of Books (Nov. 6)
> of books by and on Eminem by Andrew O'Hagan.

Eminem's "Slim Shady LP" was the best rap album of the late 1990s. Scorching lyrics about the misery of postindustrial Detroit. One of the great verses from "Still Don't Give a F---", the closing track:

I wanted an album so rugged nobody could touch it Spend a million a track and went over my budget [Spoken: Ohhh shit...] Now how in the fuck am I supposed to get out of debt? I can't rap anymore – I just murdered the alphabet

-- DRR