[lbo-talk] literacy

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Mon Oct 20 08:42:51 PDT 2003

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003, N P Childs wrote:

> All this shows is that over time people are getting better at taking
> intelligence tests. People may be getting more intelligent over time but I
> don't see this finding supporting that conclusion.

We were discussing literacy, not general intelligence. I agree that IQ tests don't measure intelligence. However, wouldn't you say that a person who could define the word "arbitrary" and describe the differences in the meanings of two words is more literate than someone who cannot? IQ tests do very effectively measure this kind of verbal ability.

Miles