[lbo-talk] RE: literacy

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Mon Oct 20 09:28:33 PDT 2003

Miles writes: --The obvious confound here: a higher proportion of people went to college in the 70s than in the 50s. Differences in the quality of the essays could be due to selectivity. (Now that I think about it, perhaps this "ignorant youth" meme is nothing more than a base-rate fallacy?)"

That's quite possibly true. But the essays I was comparing were essays written in the 50's at UC Berkeley with essays written in the 70's at UC Berkeley. Berkeley reportedly admits the upper 12% of graduating seniors. So, we're still looking at a pretty select group...in both batches.

Joanna