[lbo-talk] 'Democrazy'

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 20 12:02:55 PDT 2003

Whatever you think of Treanor, democracy is in mortal crisis and in need of serious review. I don't see that mush difference between what Paul Treanor is saying and what Arundhati Roy has said about democracy (Yes, I have posted this at least three times before - but people seem to conveniently ignore it)

"Roy, who won the Booker Prize for "The God of Small Things" which has sold more than six million copies in over 40 languages, criticized US President George W. Bush and other leaders for not listening to public opinion against the war.

"Democracy, the modern world's holy cow, is in crisis ... every kind of outrage is being committed in the name of democracy. It has become little more than a hollow word, a pretty shell, emptied of all content or meaning," she said.

"Democracy is the Free World's whore, willing to dress up, dress down, willing to satisfy a whole range of tastes, available to be used and abused at will."

Free elections, a free press and an independent judiciary mean little when the free market means they are on sale to the highest bidder, she said."