[lbo-talk] Re: the neo-neocons

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 21 17:14:47 PDT 2003

The neocons come in different varieties. Some she originals were ex-leftists -- often, as has been noted by Jeer and others, ex-Trots -- or ex-liberals, who were won away from their original commitment by anticommunism or Zionism or both. The were "neo" in the senses that they were _new_ to the conservative cause and different from the old National Review crowd. They had _some_ interest in social policy -- Nathan Glazer and Carl Cohen, for example, were fighting affirmative action wars from the 1970s on. Wilson is one of these. A lot of them started out fairly liberal in social policy, while going right on foreign policy, but got pulled into the general right wing perspective. You see this in the devolution of both Commentary and TNR. AStraussianism is a verey refined and curious corner of neoconhood, and the people who inhabit may have been cold war Dems in their errant youth, but were never leftists. Therea re other tendencies. A college classmate of mine wrote a book on them when they first became prominant, called The Necocosn or something like. Chip could tell you more. But foreign policy and antcommunsim was always very central in the neocon faith. jks