[lbo-talk] pain & development

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Oct 22 08:05:20 PDT 2003

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> Shock therapy. Primitive accumulation. Hideous idols
> drinking blood from the skulls of the slain (Marx on
> on British imperialism in India) -- you know, the
> usual. Because it has worked so very well in the past.
>
> jks

The answer to Grant's question (if there is an answer) depends on the context in which it is asked.

If the context is strictly academic, i.e., if it is assumed that one wants to outline the procedures which would (if not interfered with) work best, that calls for one kind of answer.

If one assumes Justin's context, which I believe is the only one that makes any sense in the real world, then the answer in the first instance has nothing to do with economics. Before any economics ideas can make any sense, a people first have to achieve the power to choose among methods. And, realistically, that means they must go through a period of exile from the "world community" (Patrick Bond's ideas) before they can reenter that "community" on terms which will not lead to the conditions Justin describes above. One must, that is, in order to answer Grant's questions "bracket" all economics questions for the time being.

What does that mean for leftists in the "first world"?

Tariq Ali has answered it: Build _our_ portion of the international united front against imperialism.

Carrol