[lbo-talk] Re: O'Reilly whines...

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Wed Oct 22 15:54:25 PDT 2003

There's a couple of problems here: 1) The dual use of sexual terms: in the throes of pleasure, a dick seems like a grand thing, but we're also happy to call someone a "dick" who is an arrogant slimeball ...and just as a "dick" is sometimes used to denote an egotistical moron, a "pussy," though yummy in some contexts, is also used to denote a whiny wimp. So there's really not much sexist asymmetry here that I can see. 2) So, the next problem to consider is whether, in fact, we should support the value system of our enemies by calling O'Reilley weak and thereby suggest that the whiny/weak do not deserve to live and that only the strong deserve respect. This is where the misstep lies I think. What really needs to be pointed out is that O'Reilley isn't "pussy-like" at all. In fact, he has a great deal of power and he uses it, in a variety of ways for his own advantage. The thing to say about ALL these people is that they are murderous, dangerous criminals -- either responsible for or assisting in the destruction of everything that civilization actually means in a positive sense. O'Reilley is a Iago and it would never occur to me to call Iago a pussy.

Joanna