[lbo-talk] BarAbbas...

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 22 23:12:21 PDT 2003

I wouldn't place complete faith in Maccoby's speculations. There is certainly no "clear evidence that Judas did nothing except what Jesus had charged him to do, and that the 'Barabbas' whose release was demanded by the Jews was Jesus himself." These are presumably interesting literary speculations, as in, e.g., Nikos Kazantzakis' novel or D. H. Lawrence's short story. And I'm not quite sure who the Pauline compilers are supposed to be, but the burden of the real Pauline material -- it's there to be read -- is hardly a "blood libel of the Jews as 'deicides.'" For Paul, the death of Jesus is literally a cosmic event, and he spends a good deal of time writing about the *inclusion* of the Jews in the new age that has brought about (chaps. 9-11, the central part of his major theological statement, the Letter to Romans), beginning with the suggestion that he himself would be willing to be lost to that new age if his people (he was of course a Jew, and a Pharisee) could be included. --CGE