[lbo-talk] RE: Film Notes

Kelley the-squeeze at pulpculture.org
Thu Oct 23 09:24:19 PDT 2003

At 08:59 AM 10/23/03 -0700, Miles Jackson wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Brian Siano wrote:
>
> > As I said: could you please describe an environment where competitiveness
> > would _not_ occur? For all of your claims of knowledge of "massive
> > variation" in human societies, you seem to be unable to come up with one,
> > concrete example of such an environment.
>
>This is as trivial as asking people to come up with one "concrete
>example" of gravity. But if you need some obvious examples:

<snip to save k-wattage>

i enjoyed justin's earlier post on the topic--though I disagreed with his too charitable reading of the post that prompted all this. So, I don't have a big problem with competition as only and always bad.

However, I was thinking about what Miles wrote. It seems to me that cooperation among humans is inevitable. Survival would be virtually impossible without it. But competition seems wholly dispensable. Or am I just so thoroughly socialized, I can't see that human society _requires_ competition. Given the likelihood of the latter, anyone have any examples that might shatter my social dupeness?

here pussy, pussy, pussy...

kelley