[lbo-talk] JFK - withdrawal from Vietnam?

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Oct 23 09:19:57 PDT 2003

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Doug Henwood wrote:

> >Yes, I believe Chomsky has contested this contention
>
> Yup, and I was very persuaded. But Jamie Galbraith is a serious person
> and his father was a close advisor to JFK and it feels like a rethink
> might be necessary, which is a pain.

I went down this road recently myself, and I think the best place to start is a recent (2000) book by David Kaiser entitled _American Tragedy: Kennedy, Johnson, and the Origins of the Vietnam War_ (which, despite its title, actually starts with Eisenhower, which is some of the most fascinating material in the book). I think he makes the case that Kennedy would have acted differently about as well as it can be made. He uses tons of archival material, quotes at length from conversations, and still manages to mold it all into a pretty absorbing narrative. And he is very upfront and clear about his argument. It is well summarized in the short introduction, and the first chapter will convince you there is story here that is only now beginning to get told.

In the end, it still possible to argue against it. But you can at least see what they base their case on, and that it is substantial.

Why not interview him on your show?

Michael