[lbo-talk] RE: Film Notes

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 23 09:54:03 PDT 2003

Even these examples of supposedly non-competitive situation are likely to be fraught with competiton:

> >>1. family settings, even in the U. S.

That's funny. Ever seen a family without sibling rivalry?

> >>2. people reading at a public library

Perhaps. But many of them will be reading about sports or how to win at the stock market.

> >>3. Amish raising a barn
Cant comment.

> >>4. Hunting and gathering tribe on a hunt

Who gets status and access to more women? The man who cant hunt worth a damn or the man who consistently brings home the bacon

> >>5. Religious rituals in almost every society

And who is going to win the political struggle to be Pope?

> >>6. Jimmy Carter building homes for Habitat for
> >>Humanity

Thank you Jimmy for supporting the Shah of Iran and Habitat for Humanity. The latter redeems you.

> >>7. The Open Source software community
And who did the coolest hack? S/he will be the alpha (person) here. And who couldn't program "Hello World" if his/her life depended on it...s/he will be the secondary (fe)male

> >>8. Credit Unions
You're being funny, right?

> >>9. Food Co-ops
And who wears the most hemp clothing and has the best karma?

> >>10. People using public parks
Let's go play a game of baseball or tennis...bet I'll win.

etc. etc. True, cooperation is also a part of these activities, but there is also an element of competition.

-Thomas

===== <<You and me baby ain't nothin' but mammals So let's do it like they do it on the Discovery Channel>>

Bloodhound Gang, "The Bad Touch"