[lbo-talk] Dean: transformative

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Thu Oct 23 10:41:25 PDT 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Wojtek Sokolowski" <sokol at jhu.edu>

boddi
> I couldn't compromise in 2000 because Gore represented the worst of
the
> Dems so I understand the Kucinich tendency out there. I am not
telling you
> that Dean is anything but a thin reed for us. I am still persuaded
that he
> is the antidote to Bush in '04.

-(2) The US is also a democracy (very imperfect one, but -still a democracy) not a monarchy, and the chief executive officer -cannot just order things to happen - he needs to obtain a consensus of -important power brokers. An the fact of the matter is that there are -very few (if any) left-wing power brokers in this country. Most of the -power brokers are conservative, or moderately liberal at best.

Which supports boddi's basic point on Dean because he is highlighting not Dean's political positions, which are not any more liberal than any of the other competing Dems (except on the war), but his campaign is designed to build energy throughout society in a way that may change the dynamics of politics more thoroughly.

We'll see if it happens but I've converted largely to Dean on the basis of the campaign he's building rather than the specific policies-- even though I also like the latter generally.

-- NN