[lbo-talk] RE: Film Notes

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Thu Oct 23 12:28:57 PDT 2003

> > Do sports go out the window in any future co-operative society? Or will
> > baseball, football and basketball be replaced with hackey-sack, Frisbee
> > tossing and kickball games where runs are not counted?
> >
> > DP
>
> That's a goofy conclusion to draw from my statement. Saying that
> competition is not inevitable is far from saying competition
> cannot (or should not) occur. I'm not sure who you are arguing
> with, but it's not me.
>
> Miles

The above wasn't an argument per se, but merely two questions. In my view, no matter the context, competition is bound to occur in any human society. I cannot see how it wouldn't, whereas you argue that it's not inevitable. To me that means you believe humans can live free of competitive urges if they choose to. I don't see that ever happening (short of a major evolutionary leap), but then perhaps I'm a pessimist -- who enjoys playing and watching sports.

DP