[lbo-talk] RE: Diebold/Democracy

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Thu Oct 23 18:17:40 PDT 2003

Quoting Joseph Wanzala <jwanzala at hotmail.com>:

> We have already seen how
> democracy has been subordinated to the imperatives of the corporate/military
> industrial complex in the US, how it has been undermined by supra-national
> agencies like the EU and the WTO,

The EU has actually been one of the few bodies which has spurred significant political and economic democratization across the globe. I'm not talking about the ECB, but about the European Parliament, the EU social charter, intra-EU social networks and unions, independent civic groups, and a feisty media culture imbued with plebian, anti-capitalist impulses (e.g. Max Payne).

-- DRR