[lbo-talk] Re: So hip it hurts

Simon Huxtable jetfromgladiators at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 24 02:59:04 PDT 2003

I just wanted to defend hipsters against the charge of aestheticizing poverty, which is not what they're doing.

Girls are parasitizing EIGHTIES fashion + PUNK style + 'TRASH' style (but this trash is more in the sense that wearing too much eyeliner is 'trashy', and wearing too short a skirt is 'trashy', in other words, trashy in a New Wave/Romo kind of way).

As for boys: 1) The work shirts with 'Buddy' and 'Ed' on are more mainstream fashion and never really caught on; 2) In any case, what they are actually going for is mom & pop store, not trailer park trash. I still say these references don't exactly exist in the UK. We have Jerry Springer, but we associate that with just good ol' dumb Americans shouting as usual :) We have those adverts with Wyclef that were mentioned, but everyone thinks they're shit and doesn't really think about them.

A more accurate summary of hipster syle might be my friend. He is a DJ ("You're never more than 6 feet from a DJ in Shoreditch") and he is a hipster, though he doesn't quite know it (no hipster can be a hipster unless they are called a hipster by someone else. It's a bit of a secret society). He has 1) A mullet (though, like the hipster thing, no-one calls it that) - he has a "fashion fin"; 2) A little league t-shirt for Brownsville Cubs (or some such); 3) A studded rockstar belt; 4) Cut-up jeans; 5) Shoes with enormous holes in (though I think he is just too lazy to buy new ones).

Simon

> hey simon, i still don't get it. it's not "trailer
>park trash" fashion?
why not?

kelley

________________________________________________________________________ Want to chat instantly with your online friends? Get the FREE Yahoo! Messenger http://mail.messenger.yahoo.co.uk