[lbo-talk] RE: Film Notes

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 24 12:02:07 PDT 2003

Yes, I agree with you - I was just pointing out Chomsky's views for what they are worth - my own take on sports is more culturally chauvinist - I come from the former British colonies my own sports interests are rugby, football (aka soccer) and cricket - my lack of interest in American sports is more a function of not having played them and not understanding them than anything else. Indeed, the history and sociology of sport is just as instructive and valuable as any other aspect of human endeavor.

(okay, I promise to hold my proverbial tougue for the next 24hrs)

Joe W.

p.s. I highly recommend The Devil and Sonny Liston by Nick Tosches

http://www.twbookmark.com/books/73/0316897752/press_release.html

"Great books have been writen about great fighters, but many writers, equating the courage exhibited in the ring to personal greatness outside the ropes, tend to rely on a tired formula: fighters are good, and everyone else associated with the sport is evil. Re-creating Liston's story with an almost biblical sense of high drama, Tosches reworks the equation: Liston was a dangerous man, and the people he associated with were even more dangerous. An unforgettable book, as much about American culture as it is about the sport of boxing." --Booklist, starred review, February 1, 2000