[lbo-talk] RE: Film Notes

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Fri Oct 24 12:14:49 PDT 2003

Chomsky:

> Take, say, sports -- that's another crucial example of the indoctrination
> system, in my view. For one thing because it -- you know, it offers people
> something to pay attention to that's of no importance. [audience laughs]
> That keeps them from worrying about -- [applause] keeps them from worrying
> about things that matter to their lives that they might have some idea of
> doing something about.

And yet, Chomsky takes his grandson to Red Sox and Celtics games, and apart from the overall hoopla, he seems to enjoy it (though I don't know how he felt about Grady Little leaving Pedro Martinez in too long in Game 7 against the Yanks).

I remember bristling at this nugget from "Consent" -- it's a bit elitist in its assumption that the common prole can only focus on one thing at a time. Yes yes, we all agree on the corp media propaganda angle, the diversion and all that. But believe it or not, there are plenty of people who can enjoy sports and still understand how power works and who it works for. Indeed, Chomsky's take is a form of reverse-propaganda that all too many Smart Pwogs buy into.

DP