[lbo-talk] Great Moments in Liberal Hypocrisy

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Oct 24 13:06:01 PDT 2003

mike larkin wrote:

>It would have been fine for the students, etc. to wear
>gay rights shirts or such during the speech, but I
>think college graduates at commencement are obligated
>to show respect for, and listen to, the speakers they'vevehosen.

Why? If I think someone's a reactionary pig - e.g., Santorum (and let's not forget Dan Savage's campaign to associate that word with certain unpleasant byproducts of anal sex) - and don't like it that my college is honoring him, why shouldn't I walk out? It's a visible protest that doesn't prevent anyone from listening to the jerk.

Doug