[lbo-talk] Re: Film Notes

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Fri Oct 24 21:17:08 PDT 2003

It seemed plausible even nineteen centuries ago to the Roman satirist Juvenal (who said, considering the undermining of the republic that had taken place within living memory, "It is impossible not to write satire"):

"Now that no one buys our votes, the public has long since cast off its cares; the people that once bestowed commands, consulships, legions and all else, now meddles no more and longs eagerly for just two things -- bread and circuses." [Sat. 10.77-81]

CGE