[lbo-talk] Re: Film Notes

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 25 12:21:39 PDT 2003

> "Spectacles," said Fronto, "are necessary for the
> contentment of the
> masses." As everyone knows, the spectacles of the
> Roman circus were of
> extreme cruelty

Ok. But does that mean that all spectacles should be eliminated? That all games should be eliminated? One could cite the sexual orgies that went on in pagan Rome as well. Would that mean that sex should be eliminated? Of course not.

According to such extreme lines of thought, everything that is not explicitly political is a distraction from politics and from the class struggle. So, let's reignite the Proleterian Cultural Revolution where life becomes one big political meeting! And if you dont go to the meeting you get thrown in jail or worse.

There is nothing noble about politics for the sake of politics. Politics should be a means toward human liberation from work, drudgery and oppression...it should not be an end in itself.

For many of us, me included, politics is at least partially a game...it's a hobby. That is not to say people on the Left dont engage in it mainly for reasons of liberation and concern for others. But part of the allure is that it is a game, a pass-time. That is part of the reason why we are on this list.

-Thomas

===== <<You and me baby ain't nothin' but mammals So let's do it like they do it on the Discovery Channel>>

Bloodhound Gang, "The Bad Touch"