[lbo-talk] Re: Film Notes

Jose Rodriguez & Sally Everson pepor at caribe.net
Sat Oct 25 13:11:03 PDT 2003

I would say that for the Caribbean in general - sports also has a political dimension. Cricket for the West Indies and baseball for the Spanish islands are places where the colonials test their abilities against the fomer (or current) colonizers, as well as against their neighbors ... Here in Puerto Rico major league baseball is only followed in terms of players - not so much teams - though NY Yankees may be the exception - many see NY as their "home team", given the close links with NYC and the large PR settlement there. Even these Montreal Expo games here only generated interest in terms of players - that would be Puerto Rican, Dominican, and Cuban players of course. That's my observation, being from Mass. - and having grown up in the household of a Red Sox fanatic (season ticket holder the majority of his life). I have always noted the difference in the way baseball is watched here compared to in my neck of the world. In the Mass/NY Penn. it is much more regional/city identified -- though that seems to be breaking down a bit -- maybe since population have been shifting around more within the country? I know we now have at least 1 non-Red Sox fan in the family -- she was rooting for the Cubbies instead -- figuring she might as well be with the underdog. I think she just can't handle another heartbreak ...

Sally

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-admin at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-admin at lbo-talk.org]On Behalf Of Doug Henwood Sent: Saturday, October 25, 2003 3:51 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Film Notes

Luke Weiger wrote:

>I can't formulate a charitable non-trivial interpretation of what you wrote
>or what Chomsky said. Perhaps you can help. Does sports actually dull the
>collective mind? Controversial, but possible. Is sports produced,
>marketed, and televised _because_ it serves (or is believed to serve) this
>function? That seems implausible.

Sports are popular in place with far more developed politics than the U.S. - e.g. soccer in Latin America & Western Europe. No?