[lbo-talk] demographics of American Jews

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Oct 25 14:57:11 PDT 2003

<http://www.counterpunch.org/brenner10242003.html>

The Demographics of American Jews "My People are American. My Time is Today."

By LENNI BRENNER

A friend once got a bit of a reputation by pointing out that "you don't need the weatherman to know which way the wind is blowing." [sic - ed.] But you do need a demographer to know which way the Jews are going.

Some readers will recall the journalistic hockey brawl in the NY Times over the National Jewish Population Survey 2000/2001, partially released in October 2002. Now the full survey is out, but the sticks are still flying, and the penalty box is full.

J. J. Goldberg, editor of Forward, the leading 'Jewish community' weekly, contributed an op-ed to the 9/17 Times, denouncing "flawed figures." James Tisch, chair of the Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations, replied in the 9/22 issue, defending their numbers against "critics" who "try in vain to ascribe to us ulterior motives."

If gentile readers were confused about the furor, they will be comforted in knowing that most Jews likewise don't grasp the underlying issues. But valid stats are crucial to a scientific understanding of the evolution of American Jewry. And with the US military all over the Middle East, and Palestine/Israel certain to be a priority concern in the forthcoming presidential election, universal misunderstanding of the status of Jewry in modern America can have fatal consequences for Palestinians, Israelis and Americans.

[...]

The 1990 Survey reported a 52% intermarriage rate. The latest survey reports that "the intermarriage rate for Jews who have married since 1996 is 47%. Differences between intermarriage rates ... are due to differences between the "born Jewish" definition used for the 1990 analysis and the "currently Jewish" definition used in this report."

They say that 1990 NJPS researchers "calculated and presented an intermarriage rate for 'born Jews,' a category that included those they considered Jewish at the time of the survey and some they considered non-Jewish, including non-Jews who had been born to at least one Jewish parent and were raised in a non-Jewish religion."

They admit further on that "In the current survey, applying the broad "born Jews" definition to people whose marriages began in 1991-95 and since 1996 yields intermarriage rates of 53% and 54%, respectively."

To understand their distinctions between "born Jews" and "currently Jewish," you must appreciate the sociological law which, as I'm its discoverer, I call, with my customary modesty, Brenner's law: All religions lie about how many followers they have, and all left wing groups lie about how many people came to their last demonstration. Indeed, more paper has been wasted on debates over who is a Jew than on any other topic, including who really is a Trotskyist.

Today, with the enormous intermarriage rate, the Jewish establishment can't face reality. They know that "slightly more than a fifth of Jewish adults who were raised by two Jewish parents are intermarried. In contrast, nearly three-quarters of Jewish adults with just one Jewish parent are intermarried. In other words, Jewish adults who are the children of intermarriages are more than three times as likely to be married to non-Jews themselves. At the same time, among those who had intermarried parents, a Jewish upbringing reduces the rate of intermarriage. Almost 60% of Jewish adults who were raised Jewish by intermarried parents are themselves intermarried, compared to 86% of their counterparts who had intermarried parents but were not raised Jewish by them."

[...]

The intermarriage rate has become such an obsession with the Jewish honchos that they overlook an even more ominous stat. Eight out of 10 Jews living with a sexual partner without benefit of clergy is sleeping with a non-Jew. But in their formalistic minds, 'only' 47%, for marriages, means that they are still in business, if in deep trouble, whereas if a majority of kids with at least one born Jewish parent intermarry, and the rest are shacking up with gentiles, "organized Jewry," as their journals call them, is unmistakably little more than the dirty ring in the bathtub after the water is gone down the drain.

For all their abracadabras, Judaism is well and truly shriveling up, everywhere except in Israel, and it doesn't matter what intermarriage percentage they concoct. Intermarriage is a symptom of the collapse of Jewry, not its cause.

[...]

The moral of the story is that, while it is crucial to talk about oil industry domination of US foreign policy, it is just as crucial to talk about Zionist funding and its enormous influence on domestic politics. The discussion of both factors must be within a context of insisting that ordinary Americans, Jew or gentile, are fools if they continue to support parties that are so obviously funded by the rich.

Far from being afraid of discussing Zionist funding, it should be a major point in any critique of private contributions. Jews are less than 2.5% of the people. Zionists are now considerably less than 22% of all Jews. (My current estimate is ca. 10%.) And rich campaign contributors are a minority of Zionists. Yet we have an overwhelmingly gentile Congress that is emphatically more pro-Zionist than the majority of Jews.

Far from being a diversion of public attention from the capitalist nature of American politics, as some leftists fear, talking about Zionist money is one of the best ways of making that point. Because of the civil rights struggle and other battles, equality for all races, religions, nationalities, has become part of the broad American value system. Because of this, my percentage estimate of the Jewish proportion of the 400 richest Americans, which, trust me on this, is shared by serious scholars, has an automatic tendency to shock. But isn't capitalism is about inequality? It is absurd to think that a system that sanctifies inequality could be egalitarian in the ethno-religious distribution of wealth.

All that is necessary to make the important point that it isn't Jewish contributions but Zionist slush that is offensive, is to cite the fact that we now can see that the Zionists are a minority of Jews. Talk about the oil industry and Zionist contributions at the same time, and people will get the correct idea that we are trying to explain a complex problem in detail.

[...]