[lbo-talk] re: anti war protest #s...

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Sun Oct 26 15:07:52 PST 2003

Agence France Press estimates the crowd yesterday at 25,000, which backs up my estimate. ;-) Chuck

--your initial 'estimate' was 10-15K...no? -------------------------------

Remember that I've been to plenty of these marches in DC and attended the Million Man March and Promise Keepers rally which have taken place in similar areas that ANSWER has had demos on the Mall. There is research out there on crowd sizes. If you compare estimates of these huge rallies with ANSWER events held in similar spaces, you'll find that ANSWER always overinflates their numbers. ANSWER's estimates are never even close to the police estimates.

---I don't disagree that Answer tends to overestimate their numbers. You, to score your political points against ANSWER, then seriously * under*estimate the #s...Then, from underestimates, you proceed to provide 'theories' about the reasons for ANSWERS' 'failures'... --------------------------------

The area of the Mall where ANSWER held their rally yesterday holds about 30,000 to 40,000 people when packed full. The ANSWER rally didn't even fill a third of that space and the density of the rally was quite low.

--Newsday reporters disagree with you. Maybe they're part of the Kim SungIl-Stalin-Hitler axis of evil conspiracy? ---------------------------

Absolutely not. The cops later upped their estimate, which would make their estimate to be much higher than mine. I think the cops understand the politics of attendence figures and they understand that the powers that be desire that groups like ANSWER disempower the anti-war movement with their meaningless demos. I suspect that the cops are being overly generous with their estimate.

--meaningless demo? so meaningless that liberal radio stations like NPR felt it necessary to go out of their way to smear them yet again...I think what you mean when you say meaningless is meaningless to YOU because you WISH something more effective could be done, though you have no idea how that could get accomplished. Or if you do have an idea how to do it better, you have kept it secret to date. Then again, I thought you were telling us a few weeks back that any protests against war are unnecessary now, no matter how big...

Steve